Friday, March 30, 2007

Going Home

I’ve just returned from another whirlwind trip to Australia. It was actually my third one in a year, none were planned, but for various reasons I needed to go. This time, I had to interview for some more outsourcers and a new manager for my card business, ki creations.

I was in Brisbane for six and a half days this time. As always, it wasn’t enough time to catch up with everyone and certainly not to spend as much time as I’d like with those that I did. Each moment however was precious. It was great to be able to drop back into friends’ lives, even if it was only for a few hours. There seemed to be a great sense of momentum in everyone’s lives at the moment and I was able to see new apartments, houses and pictures of property and hear of family and travel plans.

The strange think about going “home” was that it highlighted the fact that I’m not really sure where “home” is now. I have dear friends in both Japan and Australia and really enjoy different aspects of the lifestyles of both. I love the lack of aggression, the service, friendliness and politeness in Japan as well as the history and sense of design. I also love my job here. Back in Australia, I love the freedom, the diversity and openness of people. I like the landscape, especially the Queensland beaches.

People say that home is where the heart is. I haven’t seen Wayne for a week and right now, as I’m writing this on the express train from the airport, I feel that more than ever. He is my home.

1 comment:

Crafty Japan said...

Hehe...didn't I blog about this same topic a number of months ago? Japan is definitely my home now...how could it not be with my 2 boys here??