Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Bar Flower

Yah! My copy of Lea Jacobson's new book Bar Flower just arrived today. Lea writes the ever interesting blog Geisha, Interrupted. This book, as the subtitle explains is about her "... decadently destructive days and nights as a Tokyo nightclub hostess." I've really been looking forward to the release of her book.

Now, I can't tell you what it's like yet, I haven't had a chance to start it, so instead, I'll open up and a random page and find a random paragraph for you...

"It was only when I reached my bed in the gaijin house
that I began to attempt to reconstruct the events of the night before. My
memory was basically a pile of detached events and images, and putting the
events together in a coherent narrative was less than possible."
(page 151 paragraph 4)


Yep, can't wait to get stuck into this one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Looks like an interesting read.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I just read the first couple of chapters last night. It's an easy, light read so far. It's interesting, especially finding out how she went from English teaching to hostessing.

T IN LA said...

I picked this book up a week ago and am done. It was an intelligent, extremely fascinating read. In a way, I too lived a Japanese fantasy through her and loved every minute of the rough ride.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Yeh, I'm really enjoying it so far.